Reviews by Sonya Writes

Read Sonya Writes's Blog Follow Sonya Writes on Twitter

For the Right Reasons

For the Right Reasons

On 4/1 Sonya Writes wrote: Before reading this book I’d never heard of Sean Lowe and I’d never seen an episode of The Bachelor (still haven’t). The reason I requested this book was primarily the title, and the part of the subtitle that says the book gives his thoughts on “why nice guys finish first.” I’m not convinced ... For the Right Reasons

Sonya Writes' Rating:

3 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The Ultimate Guide to the Daniel Fast

The Ultimate Guide to the Daniel Fast

On 1/27 Sonya Writes wrote: I had a few reasons for wanting to read this book, but my primary reason was to get the recipes. I am gradually attempting to eliminate processed foods from my weekly grocery list and build better habits as far as eating goes. Because I keep the dietary laws of the old testament, most cook books don’t ... The Daniel Fast

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Messy Beautiful Love

Messy Beautiful Love

On 11/13 Sonya Writes wrote: Messy Beautiful Love is a marriage book for Christian women who want to learn how to improve their marriage by becoming a better wife. What I liked: This book addressed a lot of the common struggles that women have in marriage and the common ways in which a woman can unintentionally sabotage her marriage. ... Messy Beautiful Love

Sonya Writes' Rating:

4 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The YOU Plan

The YOU Plan

On 11/3 Sonya Writes wrote: This is a book for divorced Christian women who aren’t sure what to do now that their marriage has dissolved. Written by two women who’ve been there, done that, I found it to be a decent resource for a newly divorced woman. Each chapter in this book covers an important topic. You and Forgiveness, ... The You Plan

Sonya Writes' Rating:

4 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The Passion Principles

The Passion Principles

On 5/5 Sonya Writes wrote: This book as a whole is like a big Q&A session about sexual questions that married couples may have. It is broken up into four sections, each labeled a Passion Principle: Celebrate the Spiritual Side of Sex, Celebrate the Mental Side of Sex, Celebrate the Emotional Side of Sex and Celebrate the Physical ... The Passion Principles

Sonya Writes' Rating:

4 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The Adam Quest

The Adam Quest

On 3/6 Sonya Writes wrote: The Adam Quest has turned out to be a fascinating read for me. This book covers the stories of 11 scientists who believe in God, and discusses their varying beliefs from Young Earth Creationism to Intelligent Design to Evolutionary Creationism. As a person who believes in God but does not have a set ... The Adam Quest

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Love & Respect in the Family

Love & Respect in the Family

On 12/22 Sonya Writes wrote: This is the third book in the Love & Respect series that I’ve read. I read the book Love & Respect for the first time back in 2007, then just a couple years ago I read The Language of Love & Respect, and now I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to review the parent’s version of the formula: Love ... Love & Respect in the Family

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

She's Twelve Going on Twenty

She's Twelve Going on Twenty

On 10/16 Sonya Writes wrote: This is a book about nurturing your daughter through the tween years and is broken up into three parts: Spirit, Soul and Body. Part 1: Spirit covers the questions of identity, purpose and faith. There is a brief explanation of the four personality types (Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholy, Phlegmatic) to ... She's Twelve Going on Twenty

Sonya Writes' Rating:

4 Stars

View all reviews for this book

I Call Shotgun

I Call Shotgun

On 7/26 Sonya Writes wrote: I really liked this book. I Call Shotgun is a collection of 64 letters written by two fathers to their sons. This book covers a multitude of topics and keeps teachings of Godly integrity and character as its backbone. I Call Shotgun reminded me a lot of the book Letters to Philip, which I read several ... I Call Shotgun

Sonya Writes' Rating:

3 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Clean

Clean

On 6/12 Sonya Writes wrote: Once again, I’m reviewing a book that I wasn’t the intended audience of, but I was interested in this book for various reasons. Anyhow, Clean is a book aimed at men to help them on the path to sexual integrity, and in my opinion this is an excellent book on the topic. I got so much out of this book ... Clean

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Love No Matter What

Love No Matter What

On 5/29 Sonya Writes wrote: Love No Matter What is a book for parents of teen or adult children who are making choices that you disagree with. Since my oldest child is 5, I am not the target audience for this book, however I wanted to read it because I know I’ve been on the other side of the coin as a daughter. Overall this ... Love No Matter What

Sonya Writes' Rating:

4 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Tough Guys and Drama Queens

Tough Guys and Drama Queens

On 1/27 Sonya Writes wrote: Early in this book, Mark Gregston makes the claim that adolescence used to end in the late teens, but that in our culture it seems to go on until about the age of 26. I’m 25, and when I read that, I laughed and thought, “not me!” Then I continued reading, and the further along I got in this book, ... Tough Guys and Drama Queens

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The Respect Dare

The Respect Dare

On 11/29 Sonya Writes wrote: I feel like I probably need to write to separate reviews for this book, because I like to write about not only what you will find in the books I read, but also about how the books I read help me personally to grow and change, and with this book, I feel like the two are rather different from each other ... The Respect Dare

Sonya Writes' Rating:

3 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The Fantasy Fallacy

The Fantasy Fallacy

On 11/7 Sonya Writes wrote: At the top of the front cover of this book is the line: A Response To the Fifty Shades of Grey Phenomenon. Interestingly enough, I personally had never seen a paper copy of Fifty Shades of Grey anywhere until after I started reading this book. I had the expensive and unfortunate need to take a taxi one ... Fantasy Fallacy

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The MoneySmart Family System

The MoneySmart Family System

On 10/11 Sonya Writes wrote: Several weeks ago, I posted an advice request on a parenting forum. I was looking for advice on how to teach my children financial responsibility. I didn’t want to give an allowance and raise them to expect hand-outs, but I also didn’t want to pay them for things that they needed to be doing regardless. ... MoneySmart Family System

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

All Pro Dad

All Pro Dad

On 8/20 Sonya Writes wrote: All Pro Dad is a dad’s “game plan” for parenting. The first chapter is titled Fatherhood Fundamentals. The two fundamentals to fatherhood are love and leadership. Both are defined and explained, and the connection between love and leadership is explained. Then the 7 Ms are introduced. The 7 Ms ... All Pro Dad

Sonya Writes' Rating:

5 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Father Hunger

Father Hunger

On 6/26 Sonya Writes wrote: This is a very deep book, so deep that it's not an easy read, which is a point of dislike for me. However overall I like this book more than I dislike it. This book is about the cultural state of Father Hunger which results from a lack of mature masculinity. This book is not only about biological/adopted ... Father Hunger

Sonya Writes' Rating:

3 Stars

View all reviews for this book

The Beauty Book

The Beauty Book

On 4/26 Sonya Writes wrote: Personally, I did not care for this book. In my opinion the emphasis in this book was on outer beauty rather than truly promoting inner beauty. The way this book is worded, and the way topics are presented, would have likely resulted in me being more self-conscious about my looks had I read this when ... The Beauty Book

Sonya Writes' Rating:

2 Stars

View all reviews for this book

I Love You to God and Back

I Love You to God and Back

On 4/9 Sonya Writes wrote: This isn’t the kind of book I usually read, but I liked it. It was a nice break from some of the deep thought/action-oriented books of things I need to improve about myself. This book is a parenting memoir, a collection of a mom’s reflections on 100 night-time prayers done with her six-year-old daughter ... Cute memoir of a mom and child's journey through prayer

Sonya Writes' Rating:

4 Stars

View all reviews for this book

Our Favorite Sins

Our Favorite Sins

On 3/11 Sonya Writes wrote: I’ve read several 1-star reviews of books that I loved, where the review says “This book should really be an article,” and I’m thinking, how could you say that about this book?? Probably someone who loved Our Favorite Sins will think the same about my review, because really, in my opinion, this ... Failed to deliver, in my opinion

Sonya Writes' Rating:

2 Stars

View all reviews for this book